Brass colored wire chloroform inhaler
Design introduced by Johann Friedrich August von Esmarch in 1877 and could be found in the US as late as 1950. This same design may have been used by German troops as late as the end of WWII. The use of chloroform as an anesthetic, however, was generally not seen much past the 1930s in the US. The flask full of chloroform that would have been sold with this mask was flat on one side, making it easier to carry safely in the mask. Esmarch’s inhaler was sold in the 1915 Lentz catalogue for $0.75.
Manufactured from: 1877-1950
Dimensions: H-6.3 inches